At 6:30 a.m., the Corse-du-Sud prefecture had no knowledge of any major intervention or notable event, she told AFP. Information confirmed to AFP at 7:15 a.m. by the commander of the fire and rescue service (SDIS) of Corse-du-Sud, Jean-Jacques Peraldi.

In Haute-Corse, the SDIS carried out “four minor interventions”, including one on a burning sailboat in Calvi, the department’s prefecture told AFP.

For its part, the Maritime Prefecture also confirmed to AFP that “no major intervention” had been carried out during the night.

Corsica experienced a “relative calm” on Friday in the early hours of the day, with “not very active” storms, announced Météo-France in its latest bulletin, specifying however that “active storms are still forming at sea”.

Some 7,000 people from the various campsites in Corse-du-Sud evacuated Thursday evening in anticipation of new night storms were accommodated in public buildings, said the prefecture of the department. In Haute-Corse, 5,500 people have also been “put to safety”, according to the prefecture.

The human toll was still unchanged on Friday morning: very brutal storms killed five people Thursday morning across the Isle of Beauty, including two at sea, a 62-year-old fisherman and a 60-year-old kayaker.

Among the other victims there is also a 13-year-old girl, of Austrian nationality, said the prefecture on Friday, who lost her life after a tree fell on her bungalow, in Sagone, in Corse-du-Sud. A 45-year-old man was also the victim of a falling tree on a campsite in Calvi (Haute-Corse). Finally, a septuagenarian lost her life a few kilometers from the Sagone campsite, after the roof of a straw hut fell on her vehicle.

A 23-year-old Italian woman, seriously injured Thursday by a falling tree in Calvi, was still hospitalized in intensive care at the Bastia hospital center on Friday, “in stable condition”, said the Haute-Corse prefecture, which did not identify no missing persons.

The Mediterranean island, where the tourist season is in full swing, went back to orange vigilance Thursday at 9:00 p.m., for a “more lasting” rainy-stormy episode than the day before. This vigilance was scheduled until 10:00 a.m. Friday.