The two adults, aged 55 for the father and 33 for the mother, had been recovered around 7:30 p.m. in cardio-respiratory arrest but the rescuers were unable to revive them, the chief of staff told AFP. of the prefect, David Foltz.
The lifeless body of the 12-year-old child was recovered shortly after 10 p.m., leading to the suspension of the search.
Three other children in the family, who for their part had not climbed the dike, are safe and sound but shocked.
They were taken care of by the medical and psychological services.
The tragedy occurred around 6:40 p.m., just over an hour before high tide, in Pors-Loubous. The sea at this location, located a few kilometers from the Pointe du Raz, was agitated by a strong swell but the weather was not unfavorable, said a spokeswoman for the maritime prefecture.
A wave suddenly took the three people on the dike.
“They were swept out to sea,” explained the chief of staff.
Witnesses immediately alerted the emergency services and significant resources were deployed, in particular three helicopters, as well as resources from the SNSM (rescue at sea) and firefighters.
Fishermen also came to lend a hand, in particular to search for the body of the young boy, noted Mr. Foltz.
There is “no explanation” for such a tragedy at the moment, no major weather reason, he commented.
Due to the high tides at the beginning of the week, the tidal coefficients, in decline, were still high (90).
The family lived in Audierne, not far from there, according to Mr. Foltz.
An investigation should be opened on Friday and witnesses will be heard, he added.
“It’s dramatic, there was a strong coefficient and a strong swell”, commented the mayor of Plogoff, Joël Yvenou, quoted by the Telegram. “There are circumstances that make the coast dangerous here, I warn people, you have to be extremely careful. It’s terrible, the season hasn’t started and there are already victims”.